Thursday, September 10, 2026

Privacy in the Digital Age

Protecting your Privacy, Protects your Life


 Living in a world where local police departments possess military-grade surveillance equipment and corporations log our every move makes privacy feel like an endangered species. Looking at how these issues unfold, it hits remarkably close to home.

Automatic license plate readers, cell tower dumps, and Stingrays actively track where innocent people travel, capturing photos and location details. This isn't abstract; it directly affects our families and friends every day as they drive to work, visit doctors, attend religious services, or go about their routines. 
Furthermore, facial recognition technology linked with "electronic tattoos"—permanent digital records of our online footprint—means our private lives and reputations are continuously exposed. A single mistake or snapshot can follow someone forever, constantly rolling back like the boulder of Sisyphus.

To address these serious civil liberty threats, government action is essential. City councils and local governments must establish strict laws governing police surveillance technology. They should mandate that law enforcement immediately delete location data and photos gathered on innocent citizens while only allowing legitimate, targeted uses of the technology to proceed.


On an individual level, we must actively protect our own privacy. We can urge local city councils to regulate police data collection. Additionally, we must remain vigilant regarding our digital footprint. Avoid being distracted by online "golden apples"—like constant messaging or tweeting—and refrain from oversharing personal information that adds to our digital records. Ultimately, by demanding government oversight and practicing personal discretion, we can better protect our privacy against relentless surveillance.




________________________________________________________________

AI DISCLOSURE: This post was a collaboration using Google Gemini. I took detailed notes while watching two different ted talks videos relating to the issue of privacy on your devices. In addition to facts that I learned I emphasized my own reactions and opinions while watching. I then asked Gemini to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, and puncuation. I then asked Gemini to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources, as well as appropriate images and caption. 

________________________________________________________________ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is Antiwar silenced?

  If someone relies only on major television networks or large national newspapers, they might assume there is no argument on American forei...